Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I want to be a Dentist in Ca and want to know about the best majors, best undergrad and grad school for it.?


I want to be a Dentist in Ca and want to know about the best majors, best undergrad and grad school for it.?
Okay, Right now I am at a community college and want to transfer to a 4 year institution in 2 years and then go to Grad school in CA (UOP,UCSF,UCLA etc.) 1) What are good majors for dentistry? 2) Which 4 year institutions would be really good for the major/ for being a dentist? 3) Best dental school in California? 4) How would I get an internship for dental school? 5) Even if I go to a state school like San Jose state and major in Biology would I still have good chances of getting into a good grad school? I know I have a lot of questions but please try to answer as many of them as you can.. or if you have ANYYY advice about steps I should take towards being a dentist. THANK YOU!!!! Okay, Right now I am at a community college and want to transfer to a 4 year institution in 2 years and then go to Grad school in CA (UOP,UCSF,UCLA etc.) 1) What are good majors for dentistry? 2) Which 4 year institutions would be really good for the major/ for being a dentist? 3) Best dental school in California? 4) How can I get internships that will help me with dental school... such as working for dentist..or in doctors office etc..? 5) Even if I go to a state school like San Jose state and major in Biology would I still have good chances of getting into a good grad school? I know I have a lot of questions but please try to answer as many of them as you can.. or if you have ANYYY advice about steps I should take towards being a dentist. THANK YOU!!!! EXTRA STUFF.. My current major is Biological sciences and I am thinking about minoring or double majoring in Psychology because I find that subject easy.
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
Here's the lowdown. Get a degree in Biology. Yes your school matters but not as much as your GPA. I would try to do your undergrad in at least a UC school. UCI has a great BIO program. You do not need to go to graduate school. You will apply to dental school directly from undergrad. You will have to take the DAT test which is the most important part of you getting into a dental school. Every dental school has different standards but if you want to go here in CA you'll have to score pretty high. USC, UCSF, Loma Linda, UOP, the UCLA have the best dental programs in order from best to worst. USC has the same teaching method as Harvard, called PBL or Problem Based Learning. This isn't teaching from a text book, rather it is more self learning by working on real life cases and then meeting with professors to go over results. Also there is a lot of hands on dentistry. Whereas UCLA has very little hands on dentistry and is very book based. The cost difference is significant as UCLA is about $100 K cheaper than USC. Your interview and essay will also be a big part of what schools will offer you a slot. BTW. I would really try for a UC school for undergrad rather than a school like San Jose State. The interviewers have a higher opinion of UC schools and frankly their opinion matters. Lastly, there is no 'internship' for dental school. If you have any more questions please ask.