Friday, June 10, 2011

Should a college graduate work at Starbucks? At a restaurant?


Should a college graduate work at Starbucks? At a restaurant?
Here's my situation: I'm 22 and graduated from a reputable college a few months ago. Now I'm living at home and in the process of applying to professional school. I regret not making many friends in college, because now I'm stuck at home by myself, sad and lonely. I found a job as an SAT tutor that pays $25/hr, which is great, but I won't have the chance to meet new people or make new friends, aside from the high school students who I will be tutoring alone in their homes. So, I'm thinking of getting another job in addition to the SAT job where I can meet more people my age. Where should I work? Starbucks? My concern is I have a degree and shouldn't settle for minimum wage. Or maybe I should for the purpose of meeting people? Or maybe at a restaurant where I can earn tips? Any suggestions? I live in San Jose, California. Thanks :) I majored in Psychology and I'm applying to medical school.
Other - Careers & Employment - 6 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
You don't state what your degree is in, but your first choice in a job should be in what you majored in.....that would also look good on your applications to colleges for your masters. If you can't find one in your soon to be occupation, and the amount of money is not a concern, find a "fun" job......something you will enjoy doing, will meet interesting people and will fit with your schedule..........have some fun......you're young.........and good luck..........


2
go to clubs


3
That's a personal desicion but I wouldn't work at Starbuck's to meet people. Just go hang out there maybe. You'd be able to spend more time meeting people if you weren't working. Try to join some kind of group that suits your interests, you'll already have things in common w/ these people and find it easier to start conversation.


4
Hell no! Just like the millions of us who work very hard for ha we want u prob wrked very had to get that far, what did u study? Think more of yourself than that....


5
Hmmm... Seems like you always had a hard time making up your mind. Don't worry about working at a regular place like Starbucks. Go for it. You can sure meet some people your age, but they probably won't have a degree like yours. You can still relate and have fun, go out with them. But be careful and don't lose coarse and ruin your life with the bad crowd. Applebee's, maybe? The world is not going to end in a couple of seconds. Take a seasonal break and work at a coffee shop and see if you like it. A lot of professional, hard-working students begin at places like these because they need fast cash to re-pay loans, build credit, and grow independently. Good luck!


6
It would be a great idea to get a part-time job. It doesn't have to be a cafe or resto although these establishments will give you the opportunity to interact with colleagues, customers, and prospective employers and clients. Try getting a temp job in a field that's related to your course. Think of it as getting experience and honing your skills instead of 'a minimum wage job.' A part-time job won't only pay the bills, it will look good in your resume because your prospective full-time employer will see that you made feasible use of your time.