Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Eliminating High School Sports?


Eliminating High School Sports?
What do you think? In San Jose, California the East Side Union High School District; the largest high school district in CA has proposed eliminating all athletics for the 09-10 budget. Are there any of school district that has or already implement elimination of athletics. Some of you may say "It's time the athletics are on the chopping block" And before you go on with your rant that athletics are never cut, or that your child in private school are smarter, better than public schooled students... -ESUHSD currently funds performing arts and band. If schools don't have them, interest levels weren't high enough. -In my H.S. the majority of athletes have 3.0 GPA or higher. Following rant is for a women from an online forum (Not that she's able to see this.) (We aren't all liberals, some of us are because that's the way we are, not how the school shaped us into. We aren't weaklings since we are both physically and mentally stronger. Your child will turn out to be losers if they take classes with you and are with you at all time; when they aren't in school. "Something tells me" Your child won't turn out on top because that's how life works; in fact I think he'll live with you longer than you expect. Sorry to be harsh...
Primary & Secondary Education - 2 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
wow i guess if you do that, all the kids are gunna way 375 pounds and be tubs of lard because they have no altheltics


2
I attend a school in that district, and from what I've seen, many of the students are not happy about this. After school sports is a great way for students to pass time, interact with others, have fun (safely), and, most importantly, do what they love. The athletics program helps push students academically as well. Many of the students in sports at my school already do well academically, but for the students that do not, sports help them stay motivated to pass their classes. Also, since colleges emphasize that students should be "well-rounded", this would handicap the students from getting accepted into good schools. And how in the world are students supposed to get athletic scholarships now? Some people suggest that students should just join club sports, but not everyone can financially afford that, especially in a school like mine where about half of the students qualify for free lunch. The athletics program was able to reach out to a lot of students because it was free. Personally, I'm in the IB program, and it's mandatory for me to play two sports to get my diploma. I thought I would be all set for my diploma, and now I don't know how I'm going to reach that requirement.