Sunday, February 20, 2011

Could I still get into a good graduate school if I attend San Jose State for my undergrad?


Could I still get into a good graduate school if I attend San Jose State for my undergrad?
I've gotten accepted to San Jose State University, Cal Poly SLO, and University of California, Davis, Santa Barbara, and Irvine for my undergraduate education under mechanical engineering. Now I've narrowed it down to San Jose State(close to home) and UC Santa Barbara(love the location). But I'm just wondering if I still have a shot at a good graduate school for my masters in mechanical engineering if I attend San Jose State University. Like, could I still get into mechanical engineering graduate schools at UCLA, UCB, or Stanford if I attend San Jose State University?
Higher Education (University +) - 3 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
The simple answer to your question is yes. But I think your not focusing on the real question. First of all engineering programs are geared to teach certain things. The CSU has a great reputation in engineering, especially Cal Poly Pomona and SLO. But they are geared toward students that want to get right into the work force. The UC's are geared toward training students to go on to graduate school, especially for Ph.D.s. They tend to teach theoretical engineering. Whether you go to CSU or UC you need to have a solid gpa, good GRE scores, take proper electives and try to pass your EIT exam. In any case all CSU's are recognized as fully accredited and highly regarded. If I had my choice I would to to SLO and then on to grad school at UC SB.


2
SJSU is so well known in California for engineering that straight A grades there will probably give you at least as good a shot as a mixture of A and B grades at UCSB. On the other hand, unless you are going to live at home for SJSU, you will get the best education for the least money at CPSLO which is the best CSU and is 6th highest ranked nationally on the US News list among engineering school which do not have doctoral programs. SJSU ranks 19th and this is a significant difference in comparison with CPSLO. UCSB ranks 34th for undergraduate progrms among universities which do award doctorates as well as bachelor's degrees.


3
I think it has more to do with your grades. If you can graduate with a good GPA from SJSU, then you have just increased your chances of getting into a masters program. GRE might play a part in it too. SJSU is pretty good for mechanical engineering, but so is Cal Poly SLO and Pomona. US News ranked SJSU in the top 30 or something (overall) but both Cal Poly were in the top 20 or so. SLO was in like the top 10.