Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Can I get my tax return for a job in 2005?


Can I get my tax return for a job in 2005?
I live in San Jose, California. When I was 16 I had a job at a school and got paid monthly. I didn't know then anything about tax returns. Can I still get my money back?
United States - 5 Answers

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1
If you have a W-2, you can still file.


2
You can still file your return and get a refund (if entitled to it). The statue of limitations on refunds is 3 years, so you will need to file your return by 4/15/09 to still claim the refund.


3
You have up to 3 years from the due date of the return to claim your refund which would be 4/15/09. Go to ires.gov, pint off a 2005 1040EZ, put the information from your W-2 on it, and mail the return to the IRS. They will send you a refund if you have one do, or bill you for tax due, which would probably be unlikely in your case.


4
If you have the W2 file the return today, if you don't have your W2 contact IRS at 1-800-829-1040. IF you are due a refund you will get the refund.


5
If anything was withheld for federal income tax and you didn't owe it for taxes, then yes you can - you'll need your W-2 or a copy of it to file.